Friday, June 24, 2011

"Bah"

I have been so tired this week! I think Elena Rose is going through a growth spurt because she has been waking up to eat so frequently at night, I haven't gotten much sleep. I still enjoy having her sleep with me for the second half of the night; we get a lot of cuddle time. Except for last night she kept shifting until she was completely horizontal, then she would lift one of her legs up and drop it right on me. I don't know how many times I was kicked, but it was a lot. It hasn't helped that it's been hot in Southern California. She sleeps hot anyway, and the nights have been warm. The other night when she woke up and we brought her to our bed it was too hot, so Jorge started opening the windows to get some ventilation. By the time she was done nursing she was wide awake. I was hoping she would just pass out but she was awake for a little while. I opened my eyes and she was staring at me and she put her little hand right in my face and started waving.

Her favorite sound to make recently is "bah." She makes the "bah" sound all the time. This morning when I was dropping her off before work she fell asleep in the car so I parked and wanted to wait a minute to take her inside so that I could try to keep her asleep. I was watching her in the little mirror that attaches to the backseat headrest so they can see you when you're driving. She had just fallen asleep and her head was to the side. With her eyes closed she whispered "bah" really softly, then a tiny bit louder another "bah," then she started babbling until she was completely awake. At that point it was clear she wasn't going to take a nap right then.

When I first finished graduate school I was working at an agency that had a daycare on-site. Two times while I worked there they had Scholastic book sales (remember those flyers we got in elementary school?). I told Jorge that I was going to buy books for our unborn child. And I did. I remember buying quite a few. In our old apartment I kept them in a box under my bed, and I was not able to find them once we moved into this house. It's been bugging me since Elena was born, I really wanted those books. So I decided that I was going to go through boxes in the garage to find our old stuff, not all at once, but over a period of time. I had Jorge pull out a box that was hard to get to because I knew I hadn't gone through it before (I've looked for things, including my books, several times, so many of the boxes have been sifted through). The first thing I saw in there was my box of books. I was so excited, I went through each one, and there are 35 total. 35 books that were meant for our baby before she even existed! I also found other things that I've looked for and couldn't find, like treasures Amy got me while she was deployed, the crystal ring-holder my grandma gave me (Sorry Grandma, didn't want to tell you I couldn't find it!), and some little Precious Moments snowglobes to go in the nursery.

We still do bubbles every day at bathtime. I will say "Do you want some bubbles?" and she responds "Bah." I like these bubbles because they don't pop easily, and she always has a bunch stuck to her head.
Happy belated birthday to Savanna and Monique. Savanna turned 18, wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment