Friday, May 10, 2013

Missing my Grandma

My grandma's been gone for almost 2 weeks now, and I feel a tremendous void. My heart aches for her. I wish I could hug her and hear her voice and tell her how much I love her. Everything around me reminds me of my her, and there are a lot of little things I don't want to forget. So here are some things that come to mind when I think of my grandma.


Cherry pie, and apple pie, too. She loved making those for the holidays, and they were delicious. And she wouldn't dream of buying pre-made crust or cherry pie filling. Cherry pie had to be made with tart cherries, and we made the filling ourselves.

Going along with food, I also think of her macaroni salad, stuffing, and fruit salad. 


Laughter. I remember several times growing up, we would laugh together so hard that our eyes would tear and we couldn't stop.

She loved Shirley Temple movies and collected her porcelain dolls.


She collected a lot of things: dolls, barbies, little porcelain shoes, roosters in her kitchen, Christmas ornament collections, etc.

She had a really good memory, and she remembered things from the age of 3.


Her family didn't have money growing up, and she remembers having one doll that she just loved. One day it disappeared and she never found it. Decades later her sister Vera told her that she had taken it outside to play, and left it out there. When she remembered she didn't get it or tell my grandma because she thought she'd be mad at her. Finding out so many years later, my grandma was still mad. I think she told me this story when Vera was sick, soon before she passed away. 


She had a hard work ethic. She worked from a young age, starting at a dime store. She loved nice things. I've seen a picture of her, probably in her early 20s, in a pink bathing suit. It looks like silk, not something you would swim in, and she bought it on layaway.


Singing. She used to sing the children's song "Playmate, come out and play with me - and bring your dollies three - climb up my apple tree - look down my rain barrel - slide down my cellar door - and we'll be jolly friends, forevermore"


Shopping! She loved to shop. Even when walking became difficult, she would shop in her scooter. In fact, I think it made her buy more because she would just put everything she wanted at her feet and ride around. She would be at Macy's at 5 am the day after Thanksgiving, with coupons she collected from a ridiculous number of newspapers.


Shoes. Her old house had a walk-in closet with a huge shoe collection.

Trinkets. She had a ton of them. Jewelry, little figurines, you name it. When I was a kid I liked going through her stuff under her sink to play with it or wear it. And she always let me.


She loved to give gifts, and not just during the holidays. Even in college I would get an occasional package from her with a note that read "Just because."


She loved to dress up, and she always wanted to look her best. She had a huge makeup collection and made sure to teach me that you can't wear eye shadow without lipstick, and vice versa.

 
She loved foods like bacon and fried chicken. And when I was little I always knew I could find the yummy cereals in her pantry.

Her nails were always long and filed.


She took me camping when I was a kid, along with Amy and Cristy. Whenever I smell apple cinnamon tea, I get flashbacks of camping with her. She also took Amy and I up to San Francisco when she was living in the bay area. 


She liked to dance. I remember her having people over when I was a kid so they could line dance in her backyard . . . to the song "Elvira."

She liked to play cards. Before she moved to the bay area my parents would go over and play "31."


She loved to knit and crochet, and she made several dresses and bibs for Elena when I was pregnant in only a week. I have several blankets that she knitted and crocheted for me.


She loved babies.


Every year on my birthday she would call me in the morning and sing "Happy Birthday."

I think her favorite role was being a grandmother.  

I'm so lucky that she was part of my life. I love you, Grandma, and I will miss you always. 
 

Barbara Gayle McAfee
1940-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment