Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's the Little Things

Our church organized an event involving 12 other local churches to package 1 million meals in one day. The meals will be going to the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and countries in Africa. And we did it! The whole time I was working (standing up) I had Elena Rose in one arm, and I would pour into a funnel with the other arm, then I would grab the bag and hand it to the person who was weighing it. The weight was very important because they had to meet the airline regulations; if the weight was over, whatever they put the meals in would not be able to load. I had to change arms a lot! My biceps were burning, and now they're pretty sore. But it was worth it. All the meals I worked on will be going to Malawi, and I have no idea how many meals my team made; we had a good assembly line going and just kept moving. The meals were made of lentils, rice, chicken powder, and spices. Each meal had over 2,000 calories, so I'm guessing there was a lot in the chicken powder. I'm happy to know that there will be less empty tummies for many children out there.







I learned a little bit about the Dominican Republic. If you don't have "Dominican Republic blood," you're not allowed to go to high school and the only thing you can really do is work with sugar cane. But they told us about a boy in a small village there who was naked trying to bath in a mud puddle when a church member went and asked him where the local church was. The church worked with this little boy and watched him grow. He was somehow able to attend high school, and he just graduated from medical school and he was at our church today; amazing! God is good.


It's funny how simple things can make the baby so happy. Last night she was fussy and having a hard time. She's cutting her first top tooth and it's really bothering her. Nothing seemed to help last night, so I suggested that Jorge give her a cup of water to play with, and then she was totally happy and had a blast.

She's starting to respond to questions, especially when we ask about Ginger and Charlie. She immediately looks toward the backyard. She's starting to point, so in the picture below she's actually pointing at the dogs (and also kind of shrugging for some reason!).

She likes yogurt now! I have to give her everything several times before she actually likes it and will finish it, so this was the first time she had a good amount of yogurt. And yes, I'm feeding her on the floor, because it was the easiest thing at the time, and what difference does it make? And yes, those are baby knee pads! We just got them to cushion her poor knees on our tile, and they also have silicone on them so there's some grip.


Don't I have the cutest baby in the whole world? I think so! And she's also the sweetest baby in the whole world.





No comments:

Post a Comment